Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Audrey Hepburn to the Rescue

On June 1 I adopted a sweet little, 3 year old dog from the animal shelter.  She was sick with a gnarly case of kennel cough and scared out of her mind to be in a loud place that was cold and unfamiliar.  She came in as a stray so no one knew her story, but once I saw her little face on the adoption site I just couldn't get her out of my mind. So with my sister's blessing (I was moving into her home after all) I got her out of that awful place and we took on the task of nursing this weak little 7 lb dog back to health. Upon doing so we discovered something else about her: SHE'S COMPLETELY CRAZY.  Her meekness was a total ploy to get out of Shawshank and I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. 
She's a barker. Especially if one of the other dogs has something she wants.  She's a cuddlier. 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.  I think she runs off sucking the personal space off of people like a cuddly vampire.  If you put something in with her food she will rummage through it, throwing all the dog food onto the floor until she finds the addition like she's a 5 year old kid looking for the prize at the bottom of the cereal box.

Despite threatening to take her back numerous times, especially when she's trying to escape my bedroom for Andrea's by scratching the door and crying at midnight...when i have to be up at 3 for work...4 nights in a row...she's proven she can earn her keep.  Mostly in humor because she'll let me dress her in sweaters and spike her crazy hair.

                                                 You should see her Pink Ladies jacket


She has also proven to be a good nurse to those ailing around her.  I have had a horrible cough that causes me to sit up every couple of hours during the night so that I don't choke, and every time I sit up she's up too, putting her little paw on my back as if to tell me it's ok.  This morning my sister discovered she was sick and Audrey has barely left her side all day. I'm sure if I could put a tray on her little back she would gladly tote toast and water to Andrea on the couch.


                                                                            Hainzlee, if you distract her, I'll grab her toast. I'll totally share.


So long story short, my dog is awesome.  No matter how many times I want to wring her little neck for stealing laundry or for pulling the soles out of all the shoes she comes in contact with, I wouldn't trade her for the world.



                                                                                            No more talks, just rubs my belly woman.

1 comment:

  1. Yep! Definitely makes life better to have another to care for! You're a good egg!

    ReplyDelete