Monday, October 22, 2012

Allison Scissor Hands

A few months ago I saw a psychic (yes a psychic) that mentioned that I would feel the urge to pamper myself in the upcoming months and I shouldn't fight it because it was my inner child coming through.  I didn't tell her I had made hair and threading appointments just that morning, but I ran with it and went ahead and got a manicure on top of everything else!  With that said I realized I had let the whole pampering thing go by the way side, mostly due to laziness but also all that fanciness is quite expensive (as you well know) but when you're staring at your now uni brow and the bangs you have your shaky hands holding a pair of scissors to, enough is enough.  I decided to make an appointment for myself but also Audrey had been looking a little worse for wear. 

When I got Audrey, her hair was crazy. short on the underside and long, long, long on top.  So long in fact that my housemate Courtney has had many fun evenings braiding it!  She has a mohawk, super long white ear hair, and neck hair that grows up and out like she's wearing a fury Elizabethan collar.  My sister has been basically begging me to take her to a groomers since the day I got her but I just couldn't do it.  I had fears that she would be put in the awful cage and then start having flash backs to 'Nam and then hate me for the rest of her life.  She still hasn't trusted me fully since she got fixed.

So I decided having a culinary degree meant I could groom dogs. 

One quick trip to Pet Smart (they put the grooming sheers next to the adoption groups...cruel, cruel people) and I had a tear stained face and a new pair of trimming scissors.  Andrea volunteered to be my special assistant (aka she held the dog down) and I got to work.  I mimicked all the techniques I've seen in television and the movies and 10 minutes later, with only one nick (which I apologised profusely for), one bald spot, and one pleading from Andrea to stop trying to even out the fur on the back of her neck, she was done! And marvelous looking!  I kept the mohawk and long ear hair because like the beautiful idol she was named for who stood by little black dresses and large sunglasses, she needed her signature look.


                              You're mad at the camera! You're mad at the camera! Show it who's boss!


                     Stop trying to get my bald spot.  Show them where you cut me you evil woman!  Ooo! Chicken rice!


As for me, I left it all up to a professional.  Though she did admit that it was the most boring hair appointment I've had.  I'm always the one that suggests crazy cuts and colors but I kept it sleek and simple with a bob and no color.



                                     Anyone remember the pink and purple hair? Maybe next time...


Now with all this pampering business done, I am off to find recipes that involve Kale and Cauliflower.  Andrea has started a weight loss challenge at school and I have decided to be supportive with my cooking, seeing that most my meals involve potatoes or pasta of some sort, I don't want to be the reason she has to pay for any pounds she might gain.  Happy Monday y'all!



2 comments:

  1. I do love the pink and purple hair. I keep trying to make mine red, but my hair is so dark to begin with it doesn't really dye well, and I'm loathe to bleach it first. I have always loved hair cuts (and shoe shopping) because I don't have to worry about not finding my size! Audrey Hepburn looks great, BTW, and will look even better next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah the trick to getting the color to be bright is unfortunately bleaching it first. blech. maybe red hair clips? like red hair that just clips in? no bleaching involved, that's for sure. i think you could totally rock some blue hair tho...would look great with your dark hair! and i'll tell audrey you liked the cut. maybe some pink hair for her?? oh the possibilites!!

      Delete