Monday, November 12, 2012

I Would Totally Throw the Brave Little Toaster into the Bathtub

So I was going through all the things I've bought so far this holiday season, seeing who I can officially cross off the list, and I came across something I didn't realize I had bought for my nieces.  The item was the movie 'All Dogs Go to Heaven'.  Now I remember watching the pants off this movie with my sisters when we were younger but I can honestly not remember anything about it other than the last shot where ::SPOILER ALERT:: one of the title dogs fly up to heaven.  Which means he had to die.  Which means I bought my nieces a puppy snuff film.  So why did I buy it?  My only explanation is I thought it was 'Oliver and Company' which would make sense because Annie and I were talking about that movie around the same time I bought 'My Aunt is a Sadist Who Wants Her Nieces to be Emotionally Damaged'.  I texted Annie yesterday admitting my mistake and I promised to get rid of it but she thought they might enjoy it, so I guess we'll play that russian roulette and see how it goes.  Then I pointed out that at least it wasn't 'The Brave Little Toaster' and we both agreed that if it had been, there would have been a fire to throw it into so no one would have to endure that trash.  And thus the transition into the real message and reason for this blog post. 

THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER WAS SENT HERE FROM HELL TO TRAUMATIZE SMALL CHILDREN OF ALL GENERATIONS.

Did I lose you?  I might have lost you.  If you are my age (or around it) you remember this little ditty that is described by IMDB as:  A toaster, a blanket, a lamp, a radio, and a vacuum cleaner journey to the city to find their master after being abandoned in their cabin in the woods.


                                                                  I am Satan.

Some people will remember that movie just as that.  A heart warming tale about friendship and love.  I will always remember it was the ultimate horror film.  It includes the classics in horror movies:  left behind in a cabin to their own devices away from civilization, strangers attacking them and no one is helping because they either can't hear their cries or don't speak toasternese, grave yards (aka junk yards), and the weak one of the group decides to do something stupid that jeopardises the whole group (like running outside in a thunder storm when they forget they're electronics).

This movie can be credited to my insanely intense fear of junk yards, large construction cranes, and the inability to throw away any kitchen appliance.  Seriously.  I have to find them a new home.  And if they break I basically cry as I leave them in the recycling center and then fear that they'll come after me like an electronic pet cemetery.


                                             My name is not really Damien.  It's Toaster.  I swear.

So the question is, do I give the kids this stocking stuffer and hope for the best?  Or should I donate it and let some sorry unsuspecting bastard take it home to their brood?  If this helps at all, IMDB recommends 'All Dogs Go to Heaven' if you like 'The Brave Little Toaster'.  I think I've just answered my own question.  Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to exercise the demons from the DVD case.  And maybe put towels over all the exposed appliances so I don't think they're staring at me.  And buy them a more appropriate movie.  Like Saw.

2 comments:

  1. I watched All Dogs Go To Heaven as a kid too, all the time. Also don't really remember the plot. Perhaps The Land Before Time? Also possibly emotionally traumatizing (babies get left behind) but they do find their families in the end, so all better, right? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I wasn't notified of this comment, so I apologise for not responding sooner. With that said, Land Before Time is a doozey too! I remember crying in class when we watched it on a 'fun day'! Are children's movies this brutal now? Or were we the guinea pigs for sadist cartoonists?

      Delete